We are looking for a Content Strategist. The ideal candidate should have a solid background in Content Writing as well as a knack for helping others tell their story.
What Does a Content Strategist Do?
Content Strategists typically work for corporations, content agencies, or marketing firms to support the implementation of marketing campaigns and product launches. They work closely with other Content Creators to brainstorm ideas for blog posts, articles, video advertisements, and design elements to ensure maximum consumer engagement. Their job is to create content and perform content audits or gap analyses to ensure the uniformity of content and its alignment with business goals across social media platforms or company websites.
They may also be responsible for giving presentations in department meetings to propose new content ideas, discuss the progress of current campaigns and review the results of previous content campaigns.
Content Strategist Skills and Qualifications
A successful Content Strategist candidate will have experience with the various types of content your company specializes in. Be specific about the content you create in your job posting. Some companies focus on video and need candidates with that experience, but others concentrate more on short social media posts or long articles and need candidates who’ve worked on that kind of material. You may also list the other skills and qualifications common for Content Strategists, such as:
- An understanding of why some content works and some doesn’t
- Communication and leadership skills
- Storytelling skills
- Writing and editing skills
- Social media skills
- Organization and time management skills
Skills and traits of content strategists
High-level thinkers who also have a penchant for keeping track of details are ideal candidates for this job. Content strategists must be standout idea generators and problem-solvers with excellent communication and organizational skills.
These strategy experts must have the analytical abilities necessary to gather key business and user insights and apply their strategic planning skills to create a long-term vision for the content that’s generated. Project management experience will help the content strategist keep projects on track and within budget.
Other desirable traits include the ability to compellingly communicate a brand’s story, and a design sensibility to envision how content will be presented or distributed in formats other than text-based articles, such as infographics or multimedia presentations.
A firm understanding of user experience and strong search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) skills are preferred.
Content Strategist Responsibilities:
- Developing clear and engaging content that is consistent with the company’s brand image and addresses both business goals and consumer needs.
- Analyzing content marketing data to identify trends and anticipate consumer needs.
- Performing content audits to assess how well existing content is performing.
- Performing content gap analyses to determine what type of content is missing and what is needed.
- Delegating tasks to writers and editors and providing feedback.
- Creating, adjusting, and managing the editorial calendar.
- Establishing style guides that specify the writing style and tone needed to create engaging content.
- Developing a solid understanding of the target audience through online and traditional market research.
Content Strategist Requirements:
- Proven content strategy and project management experience.
- Sound knowledge of content management systems, keyword research tools, social media platforms, search engine optimization (SEO), and search engine marketing (SEM).
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Strong content presentation skills.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Exceptional marketing and collaborative skills.
- Effective communication skills.